May 11, 2020

Grounding


SPRING is continuing to unfold in the natural world with lots of new life around us, often hidden away.
At A time like this, when things are so uncertain and lots of change is happening, it is good to focus and reflect on the steadiness and reassurance of nature. 
Nature carries on, season after season. The birds are sitting on their eggs, hatching new babies. woodlands and trees are fresh and green. 
Notice all these things when you go outdoors.



 ‘Grounding Technique’


This technique will take you through your five senses, to help remind you of the present. This is a calming technique that can help you get through tough or stressful situations.

HOW TO DO IT:
Take a deep breath to begin.


5 - LOOK: Look around for 5 things that you can see,  say them out loud. For example, you could say, I see the computer, I see the cup, I see the picture frame.

4 - FEEL: Pay attention to your body and think of 4 things that you can feel, say them out loud. For example, you could say, I feel my feet warm in my socks, I feel the hair on the back of my neck or I feel the cushion I am sitting on.

3 - LISTEN: Listen for 3 sounds. It could be the sound of traffic outside, the sound of typing or the sound of your tummy rumbling. Say the three things out loud.

2 - SMELL: Say two things you can smell. If you can, it’s okay to move to another spot to smell something. If you can’t smell anything at the moment or you can’t move, then name your 2 favourite smells.

1 - TASTE: Say one thing you can taste. It may be the toothpaste from brushing your teeth, or a mint from after lunch. If you can’t taste anything, then say your favourite thing to taste.


Take another deep breath to end.


  Click below to see our Forest School... * St Peter's Forest School * 💚